Friday, March 12, 2010

The dangers of deodorant and directions to making all natural deodorant

I did a post about this same subject to raise awareness about the dangers of conventional deodorants.  Most conventional deodorants contain aluminum chlorohydrate, parabens, propylene glycol, triclosan, TEA, DEA, FD&C colors, and quaternium 18, among other toxic chemicals. Continuous intimate exposure to toxic chemicals may lead to allergic reactions or other diseases like Alzheimer's and cancer. Some may say its only small amounts and what harm could it do. These chemicals build up in the body and that is how they lead to causing you health problems. Its like saying have a drink with a small amount of poison in it. Its just a small amount! Well it add's up. Below are things you will find in common deodorants you find in any grocery store.

The World Health Organization has linked exposure to aluminum to Alzheimer's disease, with higher frequencies of deodorant use corresponding to higher risks of developing Alzheimer's. Abnormal accumulation of aluminum has been found in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease, and when aluminum is injected into the brains of laboratory animals, the animals develop a neurological disease similar to Alzheimer's. Some researchers say that aluminum-based active ingredients in antiperspirants can mimic estrogen in the body.  A lifetime exposure to estrogen is a risk factor which is tied most strongly to breast cancer.

Lets not forget about parabens.  Parabens also increase the risk of breast cancer my mimicking estrogen, according to some experts. Researchers have found parabens inside autopsied breast tumors. Paraben's are used as a preservative in thousands of products. Cosmetics, Pharmaceutical products and even food.
Propylene glycol is as a humectant, which means it keeps substances from drying out, and it was originally developed as an anti-freeze. Are you kidding me? Oops, sorry I was writing what I was thinking. This stuff is used in paint, dog food, floor wax, and now in deodorant's.  In the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for propylene glycol, the National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety warns workers to avoid skin contact with the toxic chemical, and yet millions of people are putting  it under their arms everyday. Chronic exposure can cause gastro-intestinal disturbances, nausea, headache, vomiting, and central nervous depression. How do these companies get away with putting this in our products, I have no idea.

TEA and DEA are hormone disruptors that are known to form carcinogenic (cancer-causing) chemicals. In 1997, the U.S. Toxicology Program found that repeated skin application of DEA causes liver and kidney damage in animals. TEA can cause contact dermatitis.

FD&C colors are made from coal and have been shown to cause cancer in animals; they also often cause allergic skin reactions. Triclosan can be absorbed through the skin and causes liver damage in some lab animals, and quaternium compounds are the number one cause of preservative-related contact dermatitis. About 5% of the population is extremely allergic to quaternium compounds, which can cause asthma-like symptoms and even respiratory arrest when inhaled.

Now the list of cancer causing stuff is smoking, eating processed foods and now using mainstream products. I still cannot get over the fact that there is anti freeze in my deodorant. I really do not understand why we as consumers cannot figure these things out faster. I am now to the point where I trust no product anymore and do my research before I buy anything or use anything. I really have become paranoid about everything we put on our body or in our bodies.

Good news! You can make your own deodorant now and its super easy and all natural. Oh thank goodness! Almost 100% of the time there is a healthy natural alternative to everything. This is the easiest recipe I have found.



Coconut Oil Deodorant

Product needed:
Old deodorant bottle. You will need one you can push up or twist up. I have yet to find a metal deodorant container so my plastic one will have to do for now.

3-4 tsp of Baking Soda. Just your plain old baking soda from the cooking aisle will do. I keep mind in a old Tupperware container.

Coconut Oil. I recommend Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. Cold-pressed and unrefined 100% pure. I paid $7.99 for a 12 fl oz glass jar of it.

Small glass bowl

Butter Knife

1. Put 1/4 cup of coconut oil in glass bowl. Microwave for about 10-15 seconds to make it easier to stir in the baking soda. Do not heat it till it turns to a liquid.

2.  Put in a tsp of baking soda and stir well with the butter knife. Stir in another tsp of baking soda. I think I put about 3-4 tsp of the baking soda in mine.

3. Take a common deodorant plastic container and clean it out. I used hot water and was able to get all deodorant residue out.

4.  Use butter knife and put all your coconut baking soda mixture into the deodorant container. Fill all the way full and make a heap of it on top so its easier to apply later.

5.  Leave out for 24 hours or put in the fridge. It needs time to harden up again.  Done!

Total cost: Well since I only used 1/4 cup, this would cost me about $1 to make myself. I already had the baking soda but even if I had to buy it , it would be super cheap.

Have any of you made your own deodorant? You have any alternatives to regular mainstream ones? Share with the whole class!

2 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

uh. I never used anti-perspire stuff and thought that was good enough. My brain is weak and focused in other directions, but I am going to make changes... soon. Thank you for teaching me something.

Free Stuff said...

This site is great and just loaded with Goodies!