Friday, January 7, 2011

Homemade Goodness Banana Muffins

Once in a while I go up to my local Albertson's store to see if they have any organic blackened banana's. Sometimes I find them sometimes I don't. Yeah I was lucky tonight! At 38 cents per pound its a deal. So I decided to make some banana muffins for my girls. I found this recipe online and they turned out pretty yummy. I did a double batch which made 2 dozen muffins.You can cater this recipe any way you like. I used organic yogurt because it has less fat than butter. If you don't have organic don't fret just use what you have on hand.

Banana Muffins
3 large organic black ripened banana's
3/4 cup organic sugar
1 vegetarian fed/organic egg
1/3 cup of one of these: organic sour cream, organic yogurt or organic butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1 1/2 cups organic unbleached flour      

Pretty simple instructions. Mix all wet ingredients with all dry ingredients.
Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Done!

 Albertson's sells their blacked/spotted banana's in bags like these. Look how black these are! Please use black banana's. NO RIPE ONES! They will not have a intense banana flavor is you use ripe ones.
Each night I have a dinner helper. Tonight it was Megan's turn. She refused to smile so I told her I wouldn't put her face in the picture. He he sneaky mom! Please ignore the harvest gold counters and walls. We still have yet to update our kitchen.
Okay so I have to warn you. See these muffins I filled? Don't fill them that much. They will fluff up so much and will be hard to get out of the tin. So please fill them half way.
Megan was trying to show you these large baking cups.  If You Care baking cups are found in many stores now days. I found mine at Whole Foods for only $1.29 a box of 60.  These can be tossed in the compost or be recycled when done with them.  LOVE THIS!

Okay so I might or might not have taken them out to early.....okay I did. Which is why they have a indent in them. My second batch I left in too long and they are a tid bit darker. This is a pattern I have when baking. First batch good, second batch okay, and third batch usually burnt. Poop!
And as you can see by the muffin all over Emma's face, they must have been yummy. No complaints at all except that they wanted more. Win!!! Oh and don't look at my floor in the kitchen. UGLY!!! But I guess I don't have to worry about my girls getting the floor yucky. lol

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey! Not to fear. I suffer from ugly kitchen syndrome too.

The muffins are almost out of the oven and they smell divine.

My organic delivery guy often offers black bananas on special. I freeze them and use them when we are hankering for banana treats.