Saturday, January 22, 2011

Homemade Goodness "Tortilla Soup"

Anytime I have tortilla chips of any sort that go stale, this soup is what we have for dinner. You can add or subtract anything you like to this. Super yummy and a favorite in my home.

Tortilla Soup


1/2 lb of Organic Ground Beef (Or any meat you want)
1 28 oz can of Organic Crushed Tomatoes
28 oz of water
1/2 cup Organic onion (any type)
2 tbsp Organic Chili Powder
1 tbsp Organic Cumin
1 tsp Salt
1 Organic Garlic Clove Minced (or 1/4 tsp dried garlic)
1 1/2 cups of Organic beans (I had frozen kidney beans I had made& froze)
Stale Tortilla Chips
Optional:Sour Cream, Tomatoes, chives, or olives. Use what you have on hand.




Toss the ground beef and onions into the pot. Saute on medium heat till done cooking.


 Take your can of tomatoes and add it to the meat mixture. Take that can , fill it with water and add it to the mixture. While it comes to a boil get your spices ready and your garlic minced.  
Once boiling add your beans, spices and garlic. Since I used frozen kidney beans I had to wait till it boiled. 
Next add your corn and optional items. These usually don't need long to cook so I wait till the very end to add them. 
Bring back up to a boil then turn the heat down on low and put a lid on it. I usually will toss in a handful of crushed tortilla chips into it as well just so the flavor of tortilla's are in the soup. Some people don't like the crunchy texture in their soup but I do! 
Now this is the end result. Yummy! Crunch up some tortilla chips, add a dollop of sour cream, maybe add a tad of salsa and you have the best chunky soup ever. Sooooo good!

No comments: