Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Semi Organic Mexican Rice

Mexican Rice

Yields enough food for a family of 6 and some left overs.

What you will need:
3 cups White Rice (not organic)
1/2 Organic Onion Chopped
1 Cup Organic Bell Peppers Chopped
1-2 Cup Organic Beans (I used my home cooked beans)
2 heaping tbsp Organic Chili Powder
1 heaping tbsp Organic Cumin
1-2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/2 lb natural ground meat ( I used pork)
I buy meat in 1lb packs so I only used half this pack.


To start off I put 3 cups of white rice and 4 cups of water into my rice cooker.  I recently switched my non stick pan cooker with this 1970's cooker.  The old ones have no non stick or Teflon to worry about.  While the rice is cooking get your ingredients ready.

I buy bell peppers when they are in season, chop them up and freeze them in mason jars.  I also make my own beans and freeze those as well.  It makes it much easier and faster for me to cook plus I get to have things to add fresh taste to all my meals.Take a  half pound of meat and start cooking it on medium heat. 
Once the meat is done add in your chopped veggies and cook till done.   
Now add your beans, spices and about 2 cups of water.  The spices should thicken up the mixture but if it doesn't then just add a tablespoon full of flour and that should do the trick. 
Now your mixture should look like this.  Mmmmm so yummy. 

Now your rice should be done by now so put it into a large bowl.  Then take your meat mixture and pour it over the rice.  Mix it till completely Incorporated. Your done!
Now top with anything you want.  Tonight we had some cheese and sour cream so its what we used.  Sunshine Dairy is local to me so its the brand I choose.  They make excellent half n half and to die for sour cream.  Yum!!!

Sometimes we add crushed tortilla chips or pour the Mexican rice over lettuce and have a Mexican salad.  Sometimes we put this rice in burritos or even add it to eggs to have for breakfast.  Its really versatile. 

Total Cost I paid for this meal: about $4.00 give or take.
How you may ask? I buy in season, on sale and in the bulk section.  Word!

No comments: