Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Split pea soup with salad

My daughter and husband are not feeling well so I decided to make something simple. Here is what I came up with.

Pea Soup

3 Cups Organic Red Pea's $1.99 (bought on sale in bulk)
4 Organic Carrots Chopped .20 cents (.75 cents per lb)
2 Organic Celery Stalks Chopped .50 cents ($1.29 per lb)
1/2 Small Organic Onion .50 cents (.99 cents per lb)
4 1/2 cups water

Saute all veggies till half way cooked. Add in peas and water and bring up to a boil.  Turn down on low, cover and simmer for around 20-30 minutes.

Feeds a family of 6 easily

Total Cost=$3.19

Salad was basically free. My friend Theresa gave me a head of organic lettuce and I made some ranch with some powder I had in the house. 

This is a low cost and healthy option for a meal.  Brings back memories of my mom making pea soup for us when we were little.  Only this time its pretty and doesn't look like puke. Sorry green pea's but its true.  Wait...still sorta looks like puke. Oh well.  Enjoy!

No comments: