Monday, August 19, 2013

Green Review- Soaps to Live By






One thing I will never go back to doing is buying cheap soap. When we kicked all toxins our of our life  I found that mainstream soap was packed full of toxins and waxy oils. This was a huge issue for us because we are a family of girls with allergies and eczema.  Just changing to non toxic natural soap had a huge impact on our skin. No more flare ups and no more dry flaky skin.  

I recently stumbled upon Soaps to Live By in my blogger network.  Andreea Ayer's the Founder of Soaps to Live By send me three 4 ounce bars of soaps to try and review for free. Soaps to Live By have amazing customer service (which makes me happy!) and has been great to work with.  

Here are some reasons why I'm falling in love with them

-Each organic bar of soap is handcrafted from natural and organic ingredients.  Things like coconut oil, sustainable palm oil and pure essential oils.  Each batch is hand poured, hand mixed and hand cut here in the USA. Now thats awesome!

-Their labels are made from something called "biostone" which is fully compostable and biodegradable.  Thats right stone not trees! Yeah for the environment not being harmed!!!

-They also have partnered with Trees for the Future.  Thats right! For every soap they sell a tree will be planted!!! I love my trees!

-Each bar of soap has a word of wisdom stamped on them. This makes the soap perfect for gift giving! 

Scents

Oatmeal Cloves (reviewed)
Peppermint Rosemary (reviewed)
Patchouli Orange
Orange Lime
Lemongrass Sage
Thyme Lemongrass
Lavender Rosemary
Shea Honey
Citrus Lavender (reviewed)

My Review

Peppermint Rosemary soap I decided to use in my shower.  There's nothing like waking up and a kick of peppermint does the trick.  It lathers so much so you could make the soap go further by using a loofa sponge or wash cloth.  Rinsing was easy peasy and took just a few seconds. I was squeaky clean but nice and soft once I was dry. Oh how I look forward to my morning shower. Ive even used this soap to shave with and it worked very well.  Why spend money on toxic yucky foam shaving cream when you can get double use from your bar of soap? Makes no sense to me. This soap is fantastic! 

Citrus Lavender soap I use at my kitchen sink.  Since Im in the garden each day I need a good soap to clean my dirty hands with. Needs to get my hands clean and leave them soft and ready for more.  I keep the soap on a cast iron soap holder that allows water to drip off the soap and the soap stays dry in return lasting longer.  That really is the key to making use of your soap as long as you can. A dry bar of soap! I just LOVE the smell of this soap. Just enough smell to keep you smelling fresh but not enough soap to make your food smell like it. Perfect for the kitchen. Nothing worst than toxic soap that oils stay on your hands and leach into your food you are making. Yuck! Not with this soap! 



Oatmeal Clove soap I decided to use when making my own laundry soap.  I simply took 2 pounds of baking soda and grated in 1/2 a bar of oatmeal clove soap. I use 1 tablespoon of my laundry soap in my HE washer.  Less if your clothes are not super dirty.   Wow was the smell amazing.  Again it cleaned my clothes great, smelled amazing but didn't have that lingering smell like toxic soaps do.  Nothing worst than walking by someone and being assaulted the the smell of their soaps or softeners. Seriously people you smell way too much and it makes me sick. Best part of this soap is that it has oats in it. Best softener you can get naturally!  Just a little secret most people don't know. Oats are a eczema girls best friend! Tip-Take a old sock and add 1 teaspoon of oats. Tie a knot and use this to wash your body in the shower. You will be amazed how soft your skin is afterwards. Or just buy this soap because all the work is done for you! 

My Verdict 
I really would recommend this soap highly. It has many uses than just washing your body.  It leaves our skin feeling amazing and smelling wonderful.  At $8.00 a bar it doesn't make me go broke. Better yet buy a gift set and save yourself $4.00!  Or even better sign up for the soap of the month and get 2 bars each month saving you $52.00 each year! You can also sign up for 3 months if you are not ready for a full year. There are ways to save money just gotta find whats right for you.  

$8 is about a average price of a good quality of soap. But as I pointed out there are some  huge differences in products. With Soaps to Live By you get a clean eco friendly purchase. Trees planted, compostable labels and lets not forget the amazing product. 

The only thing I really didn't like personally was that the soap came in with bubble wrap around the soap. I asked and here is what they told me.

"We used to send them without bubble wrap and they got damaged in the box, so we started the bubble wrap.  However, if someone buys only one or two soaps, we send in a bubble mailer and don't wrap it again.  It's the only way to send it without getting it damaged, unfortunately.  The only other option would be to put it in a box, but then we'll have to increase the price to $10.  So this was the best alternative to cost vs eco factor." 

I then asked if it was okay for a customer to request plastic free and okay with damage if any at all.  My gosh Beth Terry would be so proud of me! I feel as if I have a little Beth on my shoulder. She's always keeping me in check! lol

"Yes definitely! And I am even thinking of giving the option to order without a label at all (I have to see if I'm allowed to sell it without labels though). And I am always looking for more eco friendly and affordable alternatives to the bubble wrap, so if you have any suggestions, let me know! "

See what I mean about amazing customer service? They rock! 

Thats my only small issue otherwise I give this amazing company a big fat YES! 

Find them on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest too! 

Now go check them out here or find a local retailer here. What are you waiting for? 

Check out my disclosure to the left. These soaps were sent to me for free and all opinions are mine and only mine are are not influenced by money/companies what so ever. 


2 comments:

Betsy Escandon said...

We always use bar soap in the bath -- I often buy on Etsy or at farmers market. I would never go back to conventional ones. The kids still use liquid hand soap, but I have bar soap in the master bath. This company sounds like it has lovely scents.

Surviving and thriving on pennies said...

Never conventional again for us either. I use bars because I feel they last longer. Especially because we have soap holders with holes that keep the bar dry in between uses. I also find my kids go through soap faster with liquid. I grew up on bars so that might also be why I only use them lol. The scents are wonderful but not over powerful. Perfect balance.