Thursday, September 5, 2013

Lessons Learned by my Bike


Yesterday I decided to ride my bike up to the store to return some beer bottles we had in our recycling bin.  My husband doesn't see the reason to take them in when you only get a five cents each. My girls were all in school for the first time this year so I was bored. I loaded up my bike basket with the bottles in a paper bag and headed off. Here is what I learned

-I'm out of shape. I'm having hip issues so this is less stressful on my body than running. I'm still out of shape.

-Old bike isn't comfortable. I have butt bruises.

-Old bike means loud bike. Especially with glass jars.

-Bike was collecting dust for a while and mocking me anytime I saw it. "Get off your lazy butt lady!" 

-Don't forget your bike lock. I did. Had to bring bike in with me....embarrassing.

-Check deposits to see if they are accepted in Oregon where I live. Do this BEFORE you leave. I didn't. Yeah so my lovely bike ride got me nothing.

-It's exercise. Anything is better than nothing.

-It was beautiful out so I enjoyed the smells, sights and sounds all the way to the store. I have a duck pond walking/bike path near my home. I'm pretty lucky.

-I learned that not all glass bottles have deposits. Who knew! 

I plan on using my bike way more often. I have a trailer that hooks up to it for those grocery trips.  My goal is to not be a sissy and even ride in the rain. We will see how this pans out. Less I use my car means the less gas I have to buy which means the less pollutants I put into the air because I'm too lazy to walk or bike. Good all around! Peace



2 comments:

Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) said...

Good for you! I have a bike that has not been used in.... years! It's a little tougher where I live because there really isn't anywhere I can bike to rather than use my car.

Turning the Clock Back said...

my bike is currently mocking me from my garage. I try hard to ignore it but I feel slightly guilty!