Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 Goals and DIY Pumpernickel Bread



You see this pumpernickel bread here? Yep, I did that.  And I plan on making more bread from now on.  Not just any bread but lots of different kinds.  Life is about choices and so should bread.  Want to try your  hand at making it? 

Pumpernickel Bread 

1 package of active dry yeast (or 2.5 tsp)
1 1/4 cup warm water
1/3 cup molasses
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup rye flour (I used Arrowhead Mills)
1 tbsp wheat gluten (I didn't have any so I used flax seed)
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp caraway seeds

Machine-Add ingredients according to bread machine manufacturer.  Bake on whole wheat cycle. 

Oven-Dissolve yeast in warm water with molasses.  Add remaining ingredients and knead for 5-7 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.  Place in oiled bowl, turning once to coat.  Let rise and double in size.  Punch down, shape and place in oiled loaf pan.  Cover and let rise again.  Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven for 40-50 minutes or until done.  

Okay so I hate having a resolution list because honestly I forget about it. Every single year. lol. So here are a few things I would like to improve on. Lets call them goals.

Be outside more. Seriously I need to get off my lazy butt and go outside.

Be more kind. Yes even I can be more kind. 

Get less sleep. Most need more but not me. I plan on getting up earlier. (hahaha)

Master the garden. More garden beds, more varieties and more time in the garden.

Redesign front garden. Last year was chaos.  

Minimalist. Everything. Less is more.

DIY more. 

Higher self esteem. Its a struggle for me. I need to be happy about me.

Enjoy my children. More.

Love my husband more. We have 4 kids.  We need to give more time to each other.

Save $ save $ save $. In every part of our life. Even we have more room for savings.

Kitchen remodel. Gosh I can't wait for this to happen. 

More color in my home. Been working on this but need to do more. Paint!

Yoga. Just do it. More.

100% organic food budget. Right now I'm about 80%. I want more.

Read more. Expand my choices.

Help more. I love helping people but want to step it up a notch.

More good deeds.  At least one a day. Small or big.

Donate more. Big or small. Must be done.

Buy more natural fibers like cotton.  Try to avoid polyester which is plastic.  

Try new things. Any. Example is the pumpernickel bread. Didn't like it before but now since I made it I love it. 

Preserve more. Use that pressure cooker ( or two) you have. Dehydrate more.  Freeze more. No waste from the garden. Donate to Oregon Food Bank what we can't eat. 

Volunteer more. Any and all we can.

Travel more. Explore Oregon.

Buy 2nd hand more. Recycling at its best!

Simplify my kitchen stuff.  Except for pottery. No way.

Get healthy. Chiropractor is a must. Drink more water. Get more exercise.  

Plant more. Edible plants in the back and side yards. 

Gather free wood. Friends cut trees down, barter for wood, wood permit. Need more wood this year.

Walk/bike more. I have a bike trailer so I need to use it. Or sell it.

LESS TV INTERNET. Ive hidden my Facebook Apps on my phone now I need to stop clicking on them. Just use my laptop.  Keep the TV off when I'm in the house. Turn on music instead.

Be thankful for what I have. Look less at others and more of myself. Be thankful for my life the way it is.  

Make more money. Every little bit helps.

Teach my children kindness.  An ongoing lesson.

LESS PLASTIC!!!! 

LESS TOXINS

More activism 

INSPIRE OTHERS!!!! 






2 comments:

Anna (Green Talk) said...

What a great list. I love trying new things. Congrads on the bread.

Unknown said...

Setting up goals is a good way to start one’s year. Especially if the goals cater to all the aspect of your life – from personal, professional, and health goals. This will surely make your year more productive! And with regard to your health, it’s a good idea to consult with your chiro regularly. Your visits doesn't necessarily have to be about adjustments -- you could also talk about different exercise routines that are best suited for you. Good luck!

Tyrone Bryant @ McIver CC