Tuesday, June 24, 2014

DIY Oatmeal Pancakes

DIY Oatmeal Pancake Mix 

I recently checked out a King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion Book from the library.  Boy am I glad I did! I found this Oatmeal Pancake recipe and tried it out. Hands down the best recipe I have found so far and I've been looking for a good pancake recipe for a few months now.  These pancakes are filling and a great start to any morning.  I'm not getting paid by King Arthur Flour I just really loved the recipe and wanted to share with you.  No links are affiliate but you can find their book on their website in the link above or you can check it out from the library for free like I did. 




Master Mix 

3 1/2 cups rolled oats (blend to make course but not a powder. (I left whole & liked it very much)
5 cups flour 
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking soda
1 cup oil

Directions:

Mix everything but the oil together till blended.  Add the oil very slowly making sure to mix very well.  Should be a nice course consistency.  Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.


Pancake Batter
1 cup of master mix
1 cup of milk (I used coconut milk)
1 egg
Mix dry master mix with milk and eggs.  1/3 cup of batter per pancake. Let this batter set for 10 minutes before cooking.  The oats will soften up nicely during this time.  

 Recipe says it makes 12 pancakes per batch but I found it didn't.  I made a double batch and it made 10 total.  So unless you have super tiny pancakes you gotta double the batch or even triple it.  




We really enjoyed these pancakes.  I thought the texture would be weird but it really wasn't.  I didn't notice the oats at all and the pancakes had a wonderful flavor.  You can add any flavors you want to this but we like just traditional pancakes and add what we like to them.  Here you can see we have a few syrups and also some strawberry syrup I made myself.  Me? I prefer just a tab of butter.  Easy peasy and yummy.  Lets not forget to have an egg with your pancakes.  Today I used one of Lulu's eggs and of course it was a double yolker.  SCORE!  

2 comments:

Green Bean said...

Wow! These look really good. Pinning.

Betsy Escandon said...

Mmmm, coconut milk. The King Arthur recipe influenced my pancake recipe as well. I use white whole wheat and QUICK oats, and then I don't have to blend them (I don't own a blender or food processor). I tried rolled oats (not blended) once and they were WAY too chewy for me. Here is my recipe: http://www.eco-novice.com/2012/03/whats-for-breakfast-whole-wheat.html